Personal relationships have a significant impact on our life and our health. People in healthy relationships tend to be happier and live longer lives. Unhealthy relationships can cause negative emotional and physical consequences that affect physical and mental health.
What is a healthy relationship?
Healthy relationships allow both partners to feel supported and connected but still feel independent.
COMMUNICATION and BOUNDARIES are the two major components of a healthy relationship. Ultimately, the two people in the relationship decide what is healthy for them and what is not. If something doesn’t feel right, you should have the freedom to voice your concerns to your partner.
Communication allows you and your partner to have a deep understanding of each other and allows you to connect. In a healthy relationship with good communication, both partners:
- Treat each other with respect
- Speak openly to one another about thoughts and feelings
- Feel heard when expressing feelings
- Listen to each other and compromise
- Do not criticize each other
- Feel supported to do the things they like
- Celebrate each other’s accomplishments and successes
Each person should express to their partner what they are and are not comfortable with when it comes to sex life, finances, family and friends, personal space, and time. In a healthy relationship with boundaries, both partners:
- Allow each other to spend time with friends and family
- Do not abuse technology to check on a partner
- Trust each other and not require their partner to “check-in”
- Do not pressure the other to do things that they don’t want to do
- Do not constantly accuse the other of cheating or being unfaithful
At Choices, we care about you and your health. In addition to our other services, we can counsel you on what healthy vs. unhealthy relationships look like and give you tools that you can use to make the best choices for you and your health. This can be a stand-alone appointment or in addition to STD or Pregnancy Testing. Call us today to schedule an appointment.