We Are Here For You!
Some women feel relief immediately after an abortion but some women experience strong negative emotions after abortion. Sometimes this occurs within days of the abortion and sometimes it happens after many years.
According to the American Pregnancy Association Women with a higher probability of having a negative emotional or psychological side effect include:
- Individuals with previous emotional or psychological concerns
- Individuals who have been coerced, forced or persuaded to get an abortion
- Individuals with religious beliefs that conflict with abortion
- Individuals with moral or ethical views that conflict with abortion
- Individuals who obtain an abortion in the later stages of pregnancy
- Individuals without support from significant others or their partner
- Women obtaining an abortion for genetic or fetal abnormalities
Symptoms can include:
- Suicidal thoughts
- Anniversary grief
- Flashbacks of abortion
- Sexual dysfunction
- Relationship problems
- Eating disorders
- Alcohol and drug abuse
- Psychological reactions
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms and would like to explore the possibility of either meeting in a group with other women who have expressed the same need, or meeting individually with a trained staff member, we can help.